PDA

View Full Version : Can't access forum via wifi

Babalouie
20-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Got a strange issue, I haven't been able to access the forum via my PC for ages.

It seems to work fine on my phone if I use 3G...but if I connect to the wifi then I can't access the forum.

Obviously this has something to do with router settings or something like that...anyone got any ideas?

Black Talon
20-11-2014, 11:02 PM
A few people have had this issue recently.

Stretch came up with a solution that seems to work.

Reset your modem (turn it off, then back on). Leave it off for a little bit while you're at it.

Clear your cookies in your browser.

It should fix it.

Qqc
20-11-2014, 11:38 PM
worked for me suprisingly

gav240z
21-11-2014, 10:35 AM
The site has been down lately for me, on and off. I thought it was a hosting problem?

Stretch
21-11-2014, 11:00 AM
I thought the site was down for a few days also til i randomly tried it on a computer at work and everything was magically fine again. Im sure its something to do with the crappy server lately as it never happened before but a modem reset and delete your cookies seems to have worked for 4-5 people so far.

Stretch

Dont ask me why, i actually know nothing about computers :)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PtXtIivRRKQ

unggoyrx7
21-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I raised a support ticket with my ISP (exetel) and even in their office they were unable to access the forum.

Their response was that possibly the company hosting the site might have an intrusion list that is blocking certain IP ranges.

Black Talon
21-11-2014, 11:41 AM
The forum was down for a few days a while back. But there shouldn't be any issues with IP's being blocked or anything like that.

You're talking about a conspiracy theorists worst nightmare.

ISP don't block other ISP's. The internet wouldn't work if that happened.

Everyone that is having issues, pleasde follow the instructions I posted earlier in the thread. It SHOULD fix any issues.

Babalouie
23-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Hmm...rebooting modem and clearing cookies didn't do the trick.

Bizarrely I can access the forum from the work PC and on 3G, just not from the home PC

eli
23-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Have a feeling this is a DNS issue. Babs, can you try going via the IP http://190.120.226.8

wjp005
23-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Have had a few people telling me they can't access the forums at all. There does seem to be an issue

Babalouie
23-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Have a feeling this is a DNS issue. Babs, can you try going via the IP http://190.120.226.8

Tried going to the IP address but that's a no go as well.

eli
23-11-2014, 07:08 PM
What ISP you with Babs? Can you open a command prompt window and type in 'ping -a fdrx7.com' and then another one 'ping 190.120.226.8'. Then either upload a screenshot or paste the results here.

Btw, you can get to command prompt by pressing the Windows Key and 'R' and typing 'cmd' then hitting enter.

If you're not on a Windows machine, let me know.

Babalouie
23-11-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm with bigpond, but have been on it for years.

Both pings came back with zilch...

Prime
23-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Babs, I am with Bigpond as well and experiencing exactly the same problem as you (currently accessing via 4G, as wifi is no good). Same result for me when I tried the pings.

admin (The Stig)
23-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Would one of you affected users please run the following from a Windows command prompt (as above)..

tracert www.fdrx7.com

and post the results?

Babalouie
24-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Here you go

It got all the way to 30 and they were all timed out

Allunii
24-11-2014, 02:01 AM
+1 for not being able to access the forum for ages, also with bigpond, seems like a link here

eli
24-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Doesn't look like the trace route is getting very far at all.

Babs, can you try 'ipconfig /dnsflush' in a command prompt, then restart your modem.

Could you also try to tracert to another web page that you can access like google.com or something like that?

eli
24-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Also Babs, can you go 'ipconfig /all' in CMD and show me the results. Interested to see your DNS server settings.

Kupoi
24-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Sounds more like a routing issue rather than a DNS one. Since it appears to be bigpond customers only I'd say best to raise a support ticket and get bigpond to fix it. I wonder if any other websites are affected. Might be some sort of conspiracy against FD owners.

all working fine for me on optus.

unggoyrx7
24-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I am with exetel who are reselling telstra fibre, so not quite bigpond but close enough.

admin (The Stig)
24-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Agreed, it's not a DNS issue, DNS is resolving fine..

It looks as though Telstra are blocking the IP address at the exchanges.

The only way this is likely to be resolved is if enough Telstra customers complain about it.

As a matter of interest, I just checked all the blacklisters, and we are not blacklisted anywhere, so it's strange that Telstra should have done this...

eli
24-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Im on Telstra. Had the issue then restarted my router and no longer had issues.

Just out of interest's sake since Bigpond will probably take a while to fix, paste me your DNS settings Babs. Its the ipconfig /all command.

Also Babs, are you on ADSL or cable and what router/modem are you using?

Babalouie
24-11-2014, 08:56 PM
DNS Flush was a no-go, and tracert on Google:

Ipconfig is:
S

Babalouie
24-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Ipconfig pic ain't loading, Tapatalk keeps saying the attachment is too big :lol:

By my setup is Netgear modem into a Netgear wireless access point. Tried rebooting both modem and access point and no dice on both counts

Prime
30-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Kevin, contacted tech support at Telstra BigPond today. Despite some effort, the phone tech could not explain why my 4G dongle could access the site, when my home wireless could not. They have lodged a special job with the BigPond IT tech Dept. Will advise further, if a resolved.

Craysus
01-12-2014, 06:19 PM
To make you all feel better...I am affected on my work connection (AAPT which routes through Telstra to get to FDRX7.com...)...

I work fine on my home connection (PLDT in Filo)...when the bloody home connection works anyways!! (Flaky as shit lol)

My 4G through Globe (PLDT) also works fine...

Stooopid telstra have misrouted something to their international peering partner...

hopefully the "advanced" team at Telescum can rectify the mess...

messville
26-12-2014, 06:21 PM
I thought the site was gone for over 6 weeks as I couldnt get on with bigpond.
About a week ago I tried off my telstra phone and was able to access the site via 3G.
Sent in a complaint to telstra help, the guy asked me to run the trace and send him back the details, waiting for him to get back to me.
I have to now access the site through the tor network if I want to use my pc.

gav240z
26-12-2014, 07:58 PM
If you are having issues accessing the site, try a proxy server.

http://free-proxyserver.com/
http://proxylist.hidemyass.com/

If you can access the site via the proxy the site isn't down, rather it's an issue with DNS lookup or similar.

I've been having issues on and off for the past few months. The site hasn't been reliable.

You could also try using Google's Public DNS
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

messville
27-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Thanks for that Gav, just tried the first link and it worked
I havent been able to access the site since I grabbed that seat from you.
Thanks Again.

messville
30-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Ok fellas, I have an update from telsta,

I took Stig's advice and complained to telstra and have been back and forth with them via email for about a week and a half, the guy requested I do a trace route then escalated the investigation to a stage 2 and told me someone will call me.

I just got the phone call from them, the lady was talking a lot of IT language that I couldnt follow but basically she dumbed it down enough for me to understand what she was on about.

Basically she said that telstra has no problem connecting to the site via their main server/network/platform (she said daas or some other abreviation, not dns) but cannot connect via their dns servers (therefore customers cant connect to the forum either) which means that the forums server is blocking the telstra servers/ip address', not the other way around.

She told me to let the admins here know and that the problem is on this end and that the forums website/host is blocking telstras dns servers and ip's and to rectify it from this end.

I just pmed stig to let him know.

I hope this helps, Ive done everything I can from my end as a telstra customer :)

Prime
30-12-2014, 02:35 PM
I also complained again about a week ago. My matter was also elevated to a stage / level 2 investigation... which appears to happen when the guys on the phone cannot immediately address your problem.

The problem with level 2 is that if you miss their call, you cannot call them back. You have to wait until they call again or you complain once more and request a call-back. I have been in this spiral for a few days now. Still waiting...

Craysus
30-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Of note guys,
Nothing is blocked at the "server" end, or any of the webmin style access we have to the hosting site/complex. We have a dedicated server, and "should" be ok, however I have a feeling the hosting company has a large amount of crap inbetween our server and the web..

We are negotiating to relocate the forum to a completely new hosting company in the near future..but it all comes down to $$$...Current host is relatively cheap at around $100 a month from memory, but replacements for dedicated server hosts with decent specifications are considerably more expensive. We are looking at moving away from the USA/Mexico cheap arse host, to a new host possibly in Europe (Australian hosts are extortionate at around $200 a month!! A few users have also volunteered their companies / friends companies, however none have come to fruition when we said we would happily relocate..)

If it makes you feel better, my work address in the Philippines is also blocked from the forum..I think because of the peering partner in use (Same as Telstra's upstream peering partner is my guess)...kinda sucky in the extreme.

Babalouie
06-01-2015, 11:44 PM
It seems to have fixed itself, and I am now posting this via Telstra :D

Craysus
06-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Oh, it didnt really fix itself....

Stig spent countless hours over the past few days, transferring the site to a new host..

The new hosting site does not have the issues with routing the old crappy thing had ...

much much better :)

Steve_7000
07-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Well done Stig!!! Effort appreciated.

Question: Is it just me or have posts with the 'attached thumbnails' pictures option, had there pictures removed/no longer showing?

Eg post 16 here http://www.fdrx7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12537&highlight=Speed+limiter

admin (The Stig)
07-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Well done Stig!!! Effort appreciated.

Question: Is it just me or have posts with the 'attached thumbnails' pictures option, had there pictures removed/no longer showing?

Eg post 16 here http://www.fdrx7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12537&highlight=Speed+limiter

Definitely not you, some data is still copying.. this will sort itself out shortly.

Thanks for letting us know, much appreciated.

Stiggy

admin (The Stig)
08-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Definitely not you, some data is still copying.. this will sort itself out shortly.

Thanks for letting us know, much appreciated.

Stiggy

This now appears to be resolved...

And I've had several messages from people who were previously having difficulties accessing the forum viaTelstra, and the move to the new Host appears to have resolved that also.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it really helps!

Stiggy

Babalouie
08-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Stig for PM :D