Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mounting race seats.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting race seats.....

Hey guy's

I'm in the process of mounting my racing bucket seats.

just interested how people have done it as the only way to fit mine was to remove the rear seat mounts.

now looking to make new bracing/mounts for the seat to fit too.

another note: if i can I would like to mount the driver seat on a runner that i have already bought to suit but it'll raise the seat about an inch anyone else do that or just solid mounted them ??

cheers, Theo.
    Previous Cars: '85 323 Panno - D5, '75 RX808 Wagon - 13BBP , '74 RX4 Sedan - 13BMP.
    Current cars: '02 NM35 Stagea, FD3S S8 RB.

Capt Cryptic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mounting race seats.....

Depending on the level of competition - and what organisation, might want to check the adjustment regs. Vague idea there was something along the lines of FIA approved only for more serious use. I guess the mounting point reinforcement plates under the floor is something else to consider.

Too long ago to remember exactly what, did find the Sparco Circuit and Circuit Pro hans seats at least, weren't a real good fit without a bit of metal cutting. I'd be inclined to get more rake and possibly move the seat further back too if I could for the fabled 7 second egress test.

Post Thanks / Like

There are number of photos around of what's been done professionally - needless to say they're not just bolted to the floor pan directly.

Have a look at Paul's RX7 for sale thread, from memory there is a photo there of his seat mount. I'm also happy to post a photo of the seat mount in my RX8 which was professionally installed (by Walker Chassis) to CAMS tarmac rally spec. My mounts are to suit solid seat mounts and not OEM rails.

'93 FD RX7 Mallala: 1:20.16 | '03 FE RX8 IPRA Circuit Car Project
    blog.vtxms.com racing stuff | vortex.id.au homebrew beer etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your height you may want to lower the floor to create more headroom. Check the regs for the type of racing you want to do before fitting rails.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't find anything useful enough from the search function on the forum to go off that's why i asked. I know there would be photo's here but couldn't find them, went through a few race car builds but only show the seats in place not how it was done.

We were thinking of belting the lump down marked in the orange box with a rubber mallet to keep the seat as low as possible and placing a bar across where the green is and reinforcing from underneath so it doesn't tear out either.

But i always like to make sure of something before i go and do it especially when its a safety thing and there are standards to adhear too, besides i don't like doing things twice.

My other option is to get the guys installing the roll cage to install the seat's, but i like to do what i can myself.
    Previous Cars: '85 323 Panno - D5, '75 RX808 Wagon - 13BBP , '74 RX4 Sedan - 13BMP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FD3S-505296 View Post
    My other option is to get the guys installing the roll cage to install the seat's, but i like to do what i can myself.
    I would go that way (actually, I did). Might add a hundred or two to the cost, but they'll know exactly what's required for it to be strong. Seat mounts aren't something to mess around with IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

forgot to add photo LOL

Capt Cryptic
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're tempted to mount the seat as has been done in the rx8 - I'd suggest don't - if you're in the typical caucasian grouping......rather than east asian!

Sure it's safer in a massive impact minimizing the chances of the seat failing, but you're dealing with tiny number of those events worldwide at best, I can only think of one locally. With the height added (and the cant of the roofline) you'd be more likely to be dead from smashing your scone on the front leg and roof crossbars - it's the usual bane of FDs with cages. A primary safety feature, such as being able to control the car comfortably trumps the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suprspt View Post
    If you're tempted to mount the seat as has been done in the rx8 - I'd suggest don't - if you're in the typical caucasian grouping......rather than east asian!
    Fair point; I wasn't really referring to the height though, more so the arrangement of the welded rails to mount the seat to. All the OEM mounts were removed. That part at least didn't change much in the FD's i've seen with a lowered seat.

My RX8 had to have a modification to remove a large section of the cat hump to get the seat low - when mounted on rails it's quite low now. Though I am also only 5'4" tall, so yeah basically east asian in height

Anyway, here is the passenger side for interest sake:
    DSC_2276 by vortexau, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

any photo's from in a RX7 ?

Capt Cryptic
    Post Thanks / Like

What is it you're trying to see?

In the case here, the floor was cut out for a 50mm drop. On the driver's side, more of the tunnel was removed to centre the seat with the wheel and pedals....had to remove the middle tailshaft loop and plate and weld in mounts for the belts, which were also lost in the cutting.

If you're doing a cage sooner rather than later, that will have a drastic impact. The rx8, looks like 32mm seamless tube, maybe 8mm hot rolled, seat mount 5mm, plus clearance for the welding gun to take into height considerations.