Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Aftermarket stock mount intercooler

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aftermarket stock mount intercooler

As title says I'm after an aftermarket smic.

Arc, greddy whatever show me what you've got.

Also not looking to spend over $2k on one of the Aussie twin cores

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aftermarket stock mount intercooler

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if the arc provides any improvement over stock, pretty sure its the exact same size but with metal end tanks? Id be going for the fat Greddy/trust smic,

Stretch

Post Thanks / Like

Depends which version it is, pretty obvious which is which. One looks stock the other looks like a trust/greddy one

10A
    Post Thanks / Like

@Stretch
    It does! Give it a go with the apexi pfc and check your temp differences, anything is better than stock

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, already have a couple of GReddy ones lined up. Just waiting on a message back from one.

10A
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the mazdaspeed one?

12A
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust/greedy nice choice for price , does anyone know how much boost u can run in this smic , how much power someone has made from this cooler .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanerx7 View Post
    Trust/greedy nice choice for price , does anyone know how much boost u can run in this smic , how much power someone has made from this cooler .
    As stated before, intercoolers dont make power. Air(in our case boost) + fuel = power. The more air and fuel you can feed your engine, the more power you can make. An intercooler can be said to support a certain power level if it can keep the air intake temperatures at an acceptable level for that power figure.
    Almost all intercoolers stock included can handle a single dyno pull or a short burst of wide open throttle before becoming heat soaked but the real test of whether an intercooler is adequate is whether the intake temps remain acceptable on a track, flat out for say 10-15 mins or more.
    I do know of a brisbane member from ages ago who had a T88 and was running the Greddy SMIC intercooler making approx 450hp from memory, I wouldnt like to guess how long the air temps stay good for though at this power/boost level.
    Safe to say that for frequent track use and big hp you need something bigger like a vmount of front mount, but for mild to medium builds for mostly street use a SMIC is ok.

One last very basic piece of advice is not to flog the crap out of it on a hot day if running a small IC. This is all fairly general information not taking into account anyones exact build specs.

cheers

Stretch
    Last edited by Stretch; 26-09-2017 at 11:45 PM.

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

That is why you add water. :-)
    1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Mods - Twins @ 1.06 bar, AEM WI 250cc/min, Knight Sports downpipe, RE-A sport cat, Fujitsubo cat-back, Greddy SMIC, Koyo N-Flow, Ohlins DFVs, poly bushings front/rear, Dixcel FP 17" rotors, Project Mu HC+ pads, HEL SS brake lines, Defi boost gauge and Defi DIN gauges for water and oil temp and oil pressure.

10A
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone know if the greddy/trust unit fit with the oem ducts?

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you say that cib24, my plan is to use the rear washer bottle and a squirter jet in the intercooler air duct to keep it cool on wide open throttle.

I can't see it being too hard to set up, run a pipe under the car and uses a switch on the throttle that only works on full trhottle. Plus a master switch in the car that will turn the whole system off. I think it's a nice cheap way of doing things? Plus I'll never see myself using the rear washer anyway

Post Thanks / Like

The SP had a similar system I believe, maybe using the squirters from the aus spec headlights?

Stretch

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh really?!? And here I'm thinking I've re invented the wheel.

So at least that proves it will work if Mazdas engineers did it

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonnowis View Post
    anyone know if the greddy/trust unit fit with the oem ducts?
    With some modifications, yes it does. Here's my Greddy with OEM air box and battery.

1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Mods - Twins @ 1.06 bar, AEM WI 250cc/min, Knight Sports downpipe, RE-A sport cat, Fujitsubo cat-back, Greddy SMIC, Koyo N-Flow, Ohlins DFVs, poly bushings front/rear, Dixcel FP 17" rotors, Project Mu HC+ pads, HEL SS brake lines, Defi boost gauge and Defi DIN gauges for water and oil temp and oil pressure.

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke86 View Post
    Funny you say that cib24, my plan is to use the rear washer bottle and a squirter jet in the intercooler air duct to keep it cool on wide open throttle.

I can't see it being too hard to set up, run a pipe under the car and uses a switch on the throttle that only works on full trhottle. Plus a master switch in the car that will turn the whole system off. I think it's a nice cheap way of doing things? Plus I'll never see myself using the rear washer anyway
    But why? Just add water injection after the intercooler in the throttle body elbow pipe and use the front washer bottle. I can take more pics eventually and show you how I'm hooked up.

250cc/min is the nozzle I use with my AEM kit and it's not enough to disrupt anything (smallest jet in the kit) as all it does is cool the intake charge going into the motor.

Spraying onto the intercooler fins is old school and not as efficient.

1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Post Thanks / Like

Another consideration, is just using a W2A intercooler...a cheap ebay w2a core, and radiator and pump..a few litres of ebay spec coolant storage..and it outperforms ANY of the SMIC I have seen..

ice cold AIT from city style driving, and even cooler on the open road...no heat soak issues..and far lower pressure drop than any of the SMIC's cores..

NB: unless you use a very large coolant resouvoir it is NOT recommended for track use, as it needs the 80% of the time OFF throttle/boost to cool the overall charge..
    On the race track your on boost at least 50-60% of the time, so the heat load increases beyond a normal cheap w2a capacity to cool...but, for street cars its ideal.

One of the cheapest setups out there (<$500 new), relatively easy to package into the engine bay..and far better than the SMIC's...check our user mhales old thread..I can attest to the coolness, it was ice cold to touch after he drove 30kms across sydney to my house..in the middle of a summers day..try that with a Greddy, or a marcus spec stolen design with china spec cores..but really really nice visible welding hahahahaha..
    [11:17 PM] Black Talon: never argue with a retard... they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

[02:08 PM] Sefveron: yeah but stocker, you reckon the factory bilsteins are good... your opinion is moot

[02:03 PM] Black Talon: pretty much
    [02:03 PM] Craysus: all warm and cuddly
    [02:03 PM] Craysus: caregiver in a childcare centre..
    [02:02 PM] Deceptikhon: what are you studying to be paul?

"Anonymous User": But if I saw marcus crossing the street, I would chase that cunt up the footpath and into a crowd of school kids in order to do the world a favour and mow him down

13B-REW
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like what you've done with adding fibreglass to your duct mate, looks mint!
    How did you go with getting it to stick to the plastic of the oem duct?

I've been searching for a while how to best improve on the rather crude duct that greddy provide with the kit..

13B
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure it is keyed up with 80 grit as best as you can. Use removable rods to template the shape so it's solid then glass where needed. As you can see I had a little dip start at the top of the duct and so it hardened a little droopy. Also remember that glass doesn't work well at over 90 degree angles.

The Greddy supplied thing isn't a duct. More like a brace to hold the intercooler if you don't have a duct to help hold the front I guess.
    1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

10A
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Fab work, that looks awesome!