Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 17" brake backing plates

Post Thanks / Like

Default 17" brake backing plates

Hello
    I am looking for a full set of 17" brake backing plates like in this picture. I got the calipers, brackets and disks locally, but i also need the backing plates and they are NLA form Mazda.
    They need shipping to Norway (which i will of course cover).
    Payment via PayPal. I will cover fees.

If you have a set, i will require i photo of them with my name and date in the picture (just to avoid any scammers).

Name:  152469476_224864289332147_537949635306277655_n.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  112.9 KB

1994 Mazda RX-7 ■ EU-spec ■ Worklog and build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 17" brake backing plates

Just for reference, the larger ones for the front will not be a flat piece like the ones pictured. There is a pic in the first post of THIS THREAD that shows what they look like. Use caution however, as the smaller ones from the 99+ cars will also have the same shape, but be the smaller diameter.

The rear ones will be flat like the original ones pictured. You CAN get away with retaining the originals, and just trim the lip off them so they don't hit the disc. It's not the best way to do it, but it does work.

The earliest use of the larger brakes was the SP in Australia. This has flat backing plates in the larger size, but I doubt you will find a set of those any time soon as they were made specially.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success... FUCKING ACT LIKE IT.

Never argue with a retard... They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3. Thanks Zepticon thanked for this post
    Likes Zepticon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for letting me know! Finding pictures of them was really difficult! I will have to update it when i get to a computer

Post Thanks / Like

After checking my JDM EPC using just the built in generic "98" model (FD3S 500001), i see they distinguish between the 16" and 17" inch rear brake shields (F124 and FD01 then 26-261).
    For the front, they give me the same part number F138-33-261 that are replaced with F138-33-261A marked -990315 (which i guess is 15. march 1999 production date) on a Spirit-R VIN i get the number F138-33-261A.

This suggest all 99+ cars have the same front brake shields.

Also, reading the link you referenced, there was a detail that caught my eye:
    The later large versions also have a shaped backing plate on the front, which is designed to aid air flow from the front bar, in towards the
    center of the disc for better cooling.
    I interpret this to mean that both versions are large, but the later version is shaped for airflow, while the first is no. And the ones in the image in posted are from a pre 99 RS version.
    So i googled for a 1996 RS-R VIN and the part numbers for the front brake shieldis F124-33-261A
    Last edited by Zepticon; 25-11-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The same diagram contains a brake disk with the reference "17-インチ ホイール" which is the 17" inch wheel designation most people give the larger brakes.
    I guess the above picture is an older RS with the pre-99 large front brake shields.

But now i have many more part numbers to look for, thanks to your input that sent me on some more research

Capt Cryptic
    Post Thanks / Like

That full coverage pattern was used from version 3>. Previous 16s were flat sheet bent with a cut out for the tie rod ends, then both 16 and 17 had louvres.

Wouldn't like your chances if Mazda no longer stock, probably easier to pick up 4 other corners complete out of japan if you must have dust shields...inevitably they'll be bent though. Removing the rear alloy ones intact, they'd be charging an inconvenience tax no doubt, if you went that way.